• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

username9

Security Clearance-Teenage Illegal Drug Use

What is the name of your state? VA

I'm an IT professional looking to move up the corporate ladder. Most positions I've seen require some sort of security clearance.

I've lived a clean adult life, no arrests, drugs, etc., however, during my late teens/early twenties, I smoked pot and tried cocaine. I haven't touched anything illegal for over 20 years. Will those bad choices disqualify me from getting a security clearance?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

username9 said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I'm an IT professional looking to move up the corporate ladder. Most positions I've seen require some sort of security clearance.

I've lived a clean adult life, no arrests, drugs, etc., however, during my late teens/early twenties, I smoked pot and tried cocaine. I haven't touched anything illegal for over 20 years. Will those bad choices disqualify me from getting a security clearance?
**A: not to worry. On your resume, include that you attended Woodstock and list Jerry Garcia as an old retired reference.

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: not to worry. On your resume, include that you attended Woodstock and list Jerry Garcia as an old retired reference.
And make sure you put his phone number down as 1-800-Pearly Gates....:D

username9

Security Clearance-Teenage Illegal Drug Use

I researched a "security clearance" case and found a woman who had recently purchased and smoked pot was mitigated by the gov't, but because she lied on her security clearance forms was denied clearance.

So, I guess mistakes made 20 years ago won't hurt. Just don't lie about them!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">