• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weekend Parties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pam

My husband and I have lived in our apartment in Ohio for 1 1/2 years and have been role-model tenants. We're quiet, keep the apartment neat, respect our neighbors, etc. I work seven days a week (two jobs) and I get home just after midnight on Friday and sometimes Saturday nights. We recently (within the past 4 months) got new neighbors below us that enjoy partying until all hours. They have been so rude as to "bang" on their ceiling (our floor), and store their garbage with beer bottles in bags in the hall until it's convenient for them to take it out (usually several hours later when it stinks). We have tried asking them to turn their music down. After about ten minutes, the music would be turned up two times louder than what it was. At one point, I finally got tired of trying to resolve the problem with them and went to the leasing office to voice our complaint. Nothing was resolved. Several weeks later, the parties started again. I began a log of when the parties were. I have called the "after hours" telephone number to complain of the noise. When nothing was resolved, I called again and asked if I should call the police. The woman I spoke with told me all she was going to do was log the call in, so if I wanted anything done, I should call the police. I did just that. The police showed up and right after they left the party continued - louder. My husband went down to their apartment and they wouldn't open the door. He went to the leasing office the next day to voice the complaint. The only thing that happened is the "partiers" moved their parties to another apartment in the same building. We still hear the loud noise. Other tenants have complained as well, so I know this is not bothering only us. Our lease ends in July 2000. To solve our "noisy neighbor" problem, we have purchased a home. As long as we give our proper notice, can we be released from the lease due to the "landlords" neglect to enforce the rules pertaining to noise? Help! I need an answer fast. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Thank you in advance

L

LorettaL

Many cities have ordinances about excessive noise; contact the local city attorney's office and find out what your rights are; they may take action even if the local leasing agent won't.

As for your other question as to whether the landlord's failure to take effective action against the loud neighbors constitutes a violation of the lease so as to allow you to break the lease unilaterally, I would think not. Of course, the landlord could let you out of the lease if both of you agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">