• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kivin

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I accepted a job with my current employer and was moved from Georgia to Illinois. About 60 days after I arrived, the job that I accepted was eliminated as a result of a business reorganization. I was offered a different position within the company, but am not sure that I am interested. Our relocation policy states "Should you voluntarily terminate your employment with "Company X" or be involuntarily terminated for cause within one (1) year of your relocation, all relocation expenses incurred on your behalf must be repaid to the company. These expenses will be prorated from the start date of your new position until your last date of employment at "Company X".

My question is can I be required to pay back the relocation if I do not accept the new job? Keeping in mind that although the paragraph above is in the policy, I never signed a relocation agreement. Any advice is appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's possible. They have offered you work; if you turn it down that's essentially the same thing as a quit. You will have to show all the appropriate documentation to a local attorney for a definite answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">