• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is a detention center?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilliemag

What is the name of your state?vaundefined my son recently had a trial and was found guilty on drug distrubution.He is in jail waiting for a presentence report.He has no proir record, has been assigned a probation officer inwhich has implied that he will be sent to a detention center for about 5 months.Could someone explain to me what this is...

lilliemag

I'm just a concerned parent...he currently has joint custody of my grand-daughter could his conviction affect this? After his arrest he went through a drug cousenling program,stopped after 8 weeks...insurance stopped.Do you think this could be an option again instead of detention...he has alot of family support...

S

seniorjudge

Yes, drug addiction may affect child custody.

If he didn't want to finish drug rehab the first time, it is unlikely he will get a second chance.

I guess you can ask....

Last edited:

lilliemag

I'm not upholding what he did...I want him to learn a lesson...I feel him getting caught could have saved his life...I'm doing this sentence along with him...I just need to know the correct procedure to take...

lilliemag said:
I'm not upholding what he did...I want him to learn a lesson...I feel him getting caught could have saved his life...I'm doing this sentence along with him...I just need to know the correct procedure to take...
I'm assuming these are state charges and not federal?

What was the quantity and type of drug? Was there a firearm anywhere in the picture? Was the distribution within 2000 feet of a school?

The Presentence report typically takes about 60 days maximum to complete at which time the defendant is allowed to make objections. Typically sentencing is completed shortly after that - Five months is somewhat extreme from time of conviction to being transported to prison. I'd say 90 days is a little more normal. Are there co-defendants? Is he testifying against them? These are factors that could change that picture as he would be held in the detention center until all codefendants have been convicted...

lilliemag

:rolleyes: my son was involved in a drug bust by a federal undercover agent...he pled not guilty...no money exchanged according to my son...money was given to drug dealer before incident...my son told court he did this so when he returned to the party he would get free drugs promised by drug dealer...my son has never been in trouble before.cocaine was the drug ...the judge said this was one of the smallest amounts ever tried.The drug dealer had his trail before my sons same charge distrubution...he got 40years all suspended but 1year, this person is a repeat offender...been in trouble in several states...he even had someone threaten my son while in jail.I sincerely feel my sons attorney did not do his job,no witness's were called there was a boy rideing in my son's car during delivery he has never been questioned.How can I convence the court this is excessive punishment...all i want is my son to be well...and treated fairly...the newspaper reported my son pled guilty,thats not true..the judge said he was guilty because federal agent also said she gave my son 25.00.several cases went before my son and all made out alot better than his with same charges

Federal agent - but appears to be a state case. Is this true?

You can't go by what the codefendant received in terms of a sentence because he cooperated and received a more lenient sentence as a result.

Still, if the judge did in fact make that statement I would view it as a sign he is leaning toward leniency. He will probably come out okay.

I do hope it is state because the feds really hammer you when you go to trial and when you don't cooperate. Particularly in a conspiracy case.

Let us know how it turns out...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">