• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when a joint tenant leaves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WezLee

I have reason to believe that my joint apartment tenant may leave without paying this month's rent or the fee to break the lease (two months rent). My portion of the rent is current, and I do not wish to move. What legal recourse do I have to prevent myself from being evicted, ensuring he pays his part of the rent/lease termination fee, and protecting my credit? I have heard that even if I have paid my segment of the rent, the landlord can hold me fully responsible for all money owed. Is that true? Is there anyway to prevent him from doing this?
Thank you.

R

Roger R

You signed the whole lease, not for half the rent. The landlord can sue you, and you can sue the ex for half. But you're on the hook for 100% -- as is he.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">