• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evading a traffic control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdonow

What is the name of your state? VA

I was caught for evading a traffic control. Very simple; on my way home from work every single day, I come across a light. On the right is a very big shopping center with a service road. The service road has two stop signs and then exits the other end of the shopping center past the light. In the 18 months I've lived here and passed this light every day, I may have used the service road a handful of times. But never thinking I was breaking the law. I watch people do this every day. So on this one occasion I was running late and the light turned red, I decided to use the short cut service road (about 500 yards) and bypass the light. I stopped at all the stop signs and exited the other end where the police were waiting.

How would someone know this was illegal without reading all the traffic laws. It wasn't in the DMV book or on the test when I got my license 30 years ago.

And how is this illegal if I didn't disobey any traffic signs.

And how does the police officer know that I didn't pull into the shopping center for Blockbuster or the grocery store and changed my mind at the last second.

My court date is this Monday and I'm going to plead not guilty. I still have a hard time believing I did something wrong, especially for $117.

Any advice while I'm in court???

Thank you,

Jason

This is mostly enforced when the property owner complains or the local goverment needs revenue. Wish they would spend some of this on salt trucks to mitigate a real safety problem...

Conviction will earn you 3 points for 3 years.
http://vatrafficlaw.com/points.html

Scan some of the threads here for ideas to try to have the charge plead down.

Otherwise, think of it as a $117 driving lession ;)

jdonow

Update after court

Just wanted to let you know that it paid off going to court. I pleaded no contest and since I had a spotless record with positive points, the judge suspended the fine and I only had to pay the court costs. It saved me $50.

Jason!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">