• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent escrow mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

terryk

I had moved into an apartment in April of 1999, and when I had moved in the landlord has stated many things upon how she claimed to upkeep the security and maintenence of her properties. First there was an alleged drug dealer in the basement who would harrass me daily for beer and a few dollars, as well as the 'halfway house next door'. Everyone compained of this individual, he was eventually evicted due to his non payment of rent-not criminally activity. Int the meant time I had my car broken into as well as an attempt upon my Apartment. Since his departure no further thefts in the area have been reported. I was also forced to call the health Dept to get a ceiling (that collapsed due to a toilet leak above me) in the initial stages of repair. They began to do the work, and then they started to spiratically appear unannounced to me. One example, was I of me sleeping upon the couch and the door just openned up to two individuals staing that they were 'here to fix the apt'. Justly I sent them away stating 'Now was not a good time'. I also work six-seven twelve hour shifts and go to school full time in the afternoon, I have about 4-6 hours sleep through weekdays and explained this to her verbally and in written form. After these workers returned to the landlord with me denying their entry I rec'd a call stating that I'd "be last on the list for repairs, and the health dept. could not help me". About a month went by with the ceiling unrepaired and the paint in my apt pealing and flaking away (due to poor gutter maintainence and moisture absorbing through the walls), I was forced to call the Residential code inspector and put the rent in to escrow. Since the inspector has been there, the ceiling was repaired through a series of letters stating a technician would be there and of which he appeared only 50% of the time. The pealing paint was scraped off one day about 3-5 away from when I fell asleep on the couch. I awoke coated and dust and debris, which I simply blew off.However, after further thought upon the age of the house and I had the painted tested. One of the pre existing layers of paint contained lead, which I know now is not really a pleasant element to have scattered about. I have rent escrow mediation coming up upon the 14th and am not quite sure what to expect, Am I entitled to get back a portion of my rent for the two months it took to get the repairs? Has she broken the lease? If so, am I entitled to my deposit back?

L

LorettaL

Learn more about your rights by reading the sections on this website's home page dealing with landlord/tenant law under Real Estate -- specifically the sections on compliance with local housing codes, constructive eviction, etc. Then bring up your specific complaints with the rent escrow mediation people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">