• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Radar Speeding Ticket - Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melinda Davies

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

My Son was pulled over and ticketed for speeding. He is 17 years old. He was ticketed for 69 in a 35. He said he was going 53. He didn't argue with the officer, but he did asks him to double check his radar. The road is a major County Road and the speed limit has been the same since it was a dirt road. The adverage speed of traffic is 45 to 50. The road isn't marked well with speed limit signs, the direction he was traveling has no signs. Most of us know this road is a speed trap but some how I didn't get it across to my son. It is the only major road with a limit of 35 all others are 45. The officer clocked him using moving radar while coming out of a slight curve and coming over a hill. My son has pleaded Not Gulity and asked for a jury trial. (He did this because the judge always sides with the officer) He has had no other tickets or accidents but Georgia law requires him to lose his licenses for 6 months. Plus the fine is $500.00. We are wanting to know what his best defence would be. He has a few options we just don't know which one has the best success rate. Thanks!

Highly unlikely anything you list will make a difference in court.

Unless you want to be his chaufer the next six months and he wants to pay 3 to 4 times more for his insurance the next three years, he really needs a lawyer who can best advise on a strategy to minimize the damages.

Melinda Davies

:confused: I am still a little confused, I have read countless stories about people knowing how fast they were going and being ticketed for a higher speed. How do we protect ourselfs against this. My Son can't afford a the fine much less a lawyer. What defense would a lawyer use that he can use on his own? He has to try, he can't just give up.

S

seniorjudge

"...My Son was pulled over and ticketed for speeding. He is 17 years old. He was ticketed for 69 in a 35. He said he was going 53...."

Your son has admitted he was speeding.

A defense means showing you are not guilty.

So, what defense does your son have?

All the government has to do is show that he was speeding and then he will be found guilty.

A lawyer has the training, experience and is aware of the politics (may even play golf with the DA and Judge) so she knows how to work the system to minimize the damage.

As in many aspects of life, it is often more who you know than knowing what to say.

Melinda Davies

The speed he was going verses the speed the officer clocked him at decides whether or not he loses his license. If he had been charged with the speed he was driving (53) he would have paid the fine and not lost his license. So there is a big difference of being guilty of driving 53 vs 69. So really my big question is, "How do you defend youself against a moving radar ticket if you know you were not doing the speed the officer put on the ticket?" I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks

S

seniorjudge

"How do you defend youself against a moving radar ticket if you know you were not doing the speed the officer put on the ticket?"

You must be able to prove at what speed you were going.

Melinda Davies

My son drives a 1991 Mazda 626 with about 225,000 miles. It is a five speed, and he hasn't been driving a manual very long. He had less than a mile to go from 0 to 69 which is one of the reasons I believe him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">