• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking Rental Aggreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Moon

My roommate and I got an apt. in May 1999, but I put the lease in my name b/c she had bad credit. I signed a year lease, but now she and her boyfriend bought a house and are moving out Jan 1st. I am moving with them until my fiance and I build our house. But I cannot afford the apt alone nor move in with my boyfriend, so we are breaking the lease. If I leave the apt in good shape(which I will), I know they will keep my deposit b/c I broke the lease, will they put that on my credit report. I live in Ohio, and the apt complex threatend me that they would turn me over to collections if I didn't pay the $1700 for breaking my lease. Money which I can't afford right now. Can they do that? If I don't pay will they turn that over on my credit report?

L

LorettaL

you are liable for fulfilling the lease terms for the time you agreed to unless the landlord agrees to release you from your obligations. Read the sections on this website's home page dealing with landlord/tenant law under Real Estate for the general rules. Is the $1700 1) the security deposit or 2) rent owed until the end of the lease or 3) a liquidated damages amount listed in the lease? If its either #2 or #3 then it is quite likely the landlord will put that information on your credit report; if it's just #1 chances are the fact you broke your lease will not appear on your credit report. I would not list that landlord as a reference in the future however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">