• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor accident needed Police to help....ended up with a citation in the mail!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stilakiss4k8

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

About two weeks ago, I had rear ended another vehicle while trying to merge.
As a result of this, we both decided to call 911 to report the accident(just for possible insurance reasons). There was absolutely no damage to her rear bumper. I had decided to have an officer take down the proper information that is needed to give us a non-reportable accident report. We both decided that since there was no damage to her vehicle, that I would pay for her car to inspected, and detailed at her car dealership.
At first , a township cop came to assiat but then found that he had no jurisdiction to do anything because our accident had happened right off the highway ramp.
He told us that he had called in for a state trooper to futher attend and handle this situation.
Once he came he then asked what apparently happened. I told him that the woman who inwhich I rear ended ahad made a sudden stop when she and I were about to merge.
Then he came at me saying that :
1. I was speeding
2. I was either not paying attention
3. I was very close to her vehicle
Keep in mind that there was no apparent damage to her car.
It was raining.
And he right then said that he, "COULD" give me a citation.
1. For What? he wasn't there at the scene when it happened.
2. The woman and I hust wanted to have him make an accident report for the insurance company as a routine method if you happen to be in an accident.
3. Gave me all my information back and didi not inform me that he was giving me a ticket.
4. Did not give me one right then and there.
Nor did he tell me that he was going to mail one out to me.
I received a ticket in the mail and am SHOCKED!!!
What should I do? :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :eek:

CdwJava

What should you do? You go to court on the date indicated.

Keep in mind that depending on the circumstances, the officer does not have to be present to issue a citation. Some collisions are obvious as to who is at fault. And in almost all circumstances, a person who rear-ends another will be legally at fault. However, a civil court or insurance company may not care about the criminal/police determination as they might use other criteria.

You can consult an attorney that specializes in collisions. That might give you an idea of what penalties you might face and what you might do to defend yourself.

- Carl

Stilakiss4k8

Insurance Claim

:confused: :(
Well, here's an update.....pleading not guilty in court middle of march for the citation!

As for the woman which I bumped :mad: .....didn't hear from her! BUT received a phone call from my insurance company just yesterday!
Insurance agent asked what happened and if there are any damages were to my vehicle.... (obviously no) and lastly that woman made a claim to my insurance company!
I had called three times after the accident to see if she wanted me to take care of the exterior of her car have it checked out via buff and wash at the dealership.

She sounded really nice and was not pushy about having her car checked for damages. She even said it shouldn't cost that much, for me not to be bothered by it, and she'll call me at the dealership when she'd take her car in. Guess what!!!!!

My insurance agent told me that she had put in a claim 3 days later, on that same day I talked to her last!
Sneeky little Bi***

Last edited:
With modern bumpers and their shock absorbing systems, you can not tell if they are damaged by just looking and they should always be checked by a qualified mechanic.

She did the right thing reporting damage to her insurance company. Never try to settle an accident on your own. Why risk dealing with a flake or even worse.

You need to look at you policy. Sometimes they say something to the effect that if you failed to report the accident within a certain period, your insurance company can refuse to pay and could terminate your policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">