• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Property Ownership and IRS Income Tax Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rovergirl

Bought a house with my ex boyfriend 6 years ago. We split up and I need answers to the following:
#1 He changed locks since I moved out and I have no access to the property. Do I have a right to a key?
#2 He claims that although I contributed to down payment, he made all the mortgage payments and I have no right to any equity.
#3 There is a income tax lien against him that has also been placed against the property. Now, my half of title is clear. What will happen to the equity in the house should it get sold? DOes the equity get split equally? What if he can't come up with money to pay off lien and we can't sell house?
This would be in the State of New Jersey.
PLEASE HELP! This has been dragging on for two years and I am desperate to know my rights.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Rovergirl (edited December 08, 1999).]

L

LorettaL

Am I correct in assuming that you do not have a written contract between the two of you? The contract should answer any of these questions. In the absence of one, you should talk to real estate lawyer in NJ. How is the title of property held? If your name doesn't appear on the title you really need a lawyer to help you out. On this website there are names of attorneys at if you haven't any idea who to call; typically a lawyer will not charge for a brief consultation. As for the tax lien and how it affects you, again an atorney can give you better advice than any lay person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">