• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missboop

Struggling college student needs advice

What is the name of your state? :) California
The other day I had to go to the restroom very badly. I pulled into a Jack in the Box and there were no parking spots seeing that the restaurant had only four, I pulled in next to a Suv parked in the handicap zone. I was only there for a minute when I saw the paking meter lady or whatever she was, walking to the front of my car. I ran out and said "please don't give me a ticket I'm right here." She asked why I was parked there and said that I had to come up with a better excuse and proceded to finish the ticket."$440!!!"

First, I was only next to the handicap spot in the blue lines. Second can I appeal this ticket at all? If not how can I get more time to pay it?

Last edited:

sungod916

That spot with the blue lines next to the spot is for the handicap people. So they can load and unload their wheelchairs or equipment.

BelizeBreeze

First, ANY part of the handicapped spot that is rendered unusable by your vehicle can be considered 'use' under the statute.

And second,learn to hold it.

rmet4nzkx

Those blue lines are a part of the handicapped parking space and you have no grounds to appeal, you owe $440.

CdwJava

I have to agree - you have no defense here. If the space was clearly marked on the ground and/or curb as well as with a proper sign, then you are done.

And keep in mind that these do not go to court. If you want to argue your case, you will have to follow the procedures on the citation - and this usually requires appearing in person at city hall or writing your excuse to an administrator there.

It might not hurt to TRY and fight it. But you will probably only delay the inevitable.

- Carl

missboop

Still ticketed

Hey cdwJava,
Do you have any advice on how I might be able to get more time to pay this ticket. If I go in and try to get an appeal what should I say? I spoke to someone on the phone and she said that thay don't have payment plans. If I don't pay it in full, it will double.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">