• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying for mobile home we found out we don't even really own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maracle

In 1985, we bought a mobile home on 4 1/2 acres of land in California. It was financed together on a 15 year morgage. We paid an escrow company to do all the paperwork. Well when we closed escrow, they pulled the tags on the mobile home and said it would now be property tax.We now were going to sell it and found out today that the mobile home wasn't even in our name. Also it was never put on property taxes like we thought. We have been informed that we now have to pay registration fees all the way back to 1985 which is going to cost us alot of money and then we will have to pay sales tax on it too. All we have is a bill of sale. We also found out today that the Escrow company that was doing our paperwork was put out of business back in 1988 for frawdulant dealings. I tried contacting Dept. of Corporations and they told me that they couldn't help us because it was more that 5 years ago that they were out of business. Also the original morgage company we had financed through is no longer in business. Right now as it looks we really don't even own the mobile home. The dept. of Corporations did give me the name of the owner of the escrow company and a P.O box...as if that's going to do us any good. We can't contact the original owners of the mobile home.....they've been dead for about 6-8 years... I really need some advice on what we might be able to do other thst just stop paying on it. We only have about 10 more months to pay on this and the loan is paid in full....but the problem is that we don't feel that we should have to pay thisa when we had paid to have it done in 1985. To sell it we won't even make as much for it as we paid and now to pay out more money on it wouldn't be worth it. What can we do????

------------------
babs

L

LorettaL

I don't know anything about rules relating to mobile home sales but it sounds like you haven't paid either property taxes or registration taxes on this mobile home in all of the years you've owned it. I'm not sure how you are going to get out of those obligations. But you should talk to a real estate lawyer in CA. On this website there are names of attorneys at if you haven't any idea who to call; typically a lawyer will not charge for a brief consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">