• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

escrow situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ohiotenant

I recently was forced to put my rent in to escrow for lack of repair to my apartment. However, I had written some post dated checks and given them to the landlord for prior months- I told her not to use these checks and paid with money orders instead. She went back and pulled one of these checks (back from August) and cashed it, and then called me the next day stating I would need to place a stop payment upon the check, and she would pay the stop payment fee only when i removed my rent out of escrow. Is this legal? if no, what can I do?

H

Henry T

You and she are paying games -- and you should have put the stop payment on all the checks long ago, or gotten them back, before you began playing games. Forget the stupid stop payment fee -- its petty at this stage, and square that up at the end. It is a small price to pay for your carelessness in not getting the checks back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">