• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Addendum to lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alex

I have signed a one year lease, begining on May 6, 1999 and expiring on April 30, 2000. It was executed by his lawyer, and witnessed by the lawyers secretary. On/or about June 20, 1999 I received an addendum from my landlord wanting to change the terms of the lease to expire on December 31, 1999. In talking to both the landlord and the lawyer seperately, about the addendum, they both told me that the landlord wanted to do that to enable him end his book work at the end of the year and that it does not have anything to do with the lease. Puzzled, I refused to sign the addendum, which will make me be bound to it. At this point, none of us (landlord, tenant & lawyer) have any problem at all that possibly could ignite this addendum.

On/or about November, 1999, the lawyer sent me another letter requesting that I had agreed to sign and return the addendum to his office. Further, he was making a request on behalf of his tenenat to re-enter his house on January 1, 2000. Instead of the $1,000.00 monthly payment, I have two options, take the upper floor for $900.00 or the basement (no kitchen) for $850.00.

Does Prince Georges County, Maryland law gives a landlord the right to do this to me? What right do I have. i hope I haven't said much. Thanks.

Confused tenant.

T

Tyrone

A lease is a lease and if you don't sign the amendment -- or agree to it -- the old lease stands. Now to get this solved quickly and cheaply. Tell him that you will not move until the lease is up and that's it and if he sues to evit you will show the court the lease and counterclaim for bad faith. If necessary, get a locxal lawyer to write a letter stating you are right and they are wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">