• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to return sec deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tuffa

as of Oct 26, we had vacated our previous occupancy. after a month, we still had not received our security deposit of 675. they returned our call and SD that there were cat damages, but the non refundable pet deposit that we have pd will cover it. after 5 weeks, we received a check in the mail for 350, claiming that we had not paid the pet deposit for 150 and pet damages for 175, even though the phone message from them stated that it was about 40. once we finally contacted the person that had been handling our case, she SD she saw there was an error and that we had pd the pet deposit, and she will investigate the 175 damages, after she had told us 40. she now states that the pet deposit was for the privileges of having the pets, which I fell is inaccurate, I feel that the deposit was to clean up after the pets and to help make any repairs necessary. so: as far as the pet deposit, they SD one thing and then SD another, am I correct to assume that the deposit was meant for cleaning and repairs? also: the difference in the amount is 325. being they were faulty with getting back to us within the time frame of 30 days, do I immediately have a right to the full deposit, and can I file a suit against them for failure to pay and generally make life difficult?

T

Tyrone

Take them to Small Claims Court. Deposits are NOT additional rent.

E

ex-tenant

you might want to check out the legality of the term "non-refundable" in your state. Some states insist that all deposits are refundable, and do not recognize "non-refundable deposit"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">