• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arvi4

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I have been notified that my license is being suspended for 60 days for 7 surchargeable events within a 3 year period. I am contemplating filing an appeal of the Registry decision, but I'm wondering what my chances may be. I do have 7 surchargeable offenses, the first one being in August of 2002. I was newly licensed at 16.5 years of age and was pulled over for having another person in the car with me. I lost my license at that time for 30 days and paid, I believe, $100 to have it reinstated. In June of 2003, I had a minor fender bender where I rear-ended another car on my way to school - wet pavement, applied my brakes, but slid into the car in front of me. There were no injuries, minor mv damage. In July of 2003, I was charged with speeding and failure to stop for a stop sign (two offenses, one incident). Guilty as charged. In March of 2004, I was pulled over for no inspection sticker. It was neglect on my part, and it was immediately taken care of, but I was "charged" nonetheless. In May of 2004, I was pulled over for failure to use safety (no directional signal and no seatbelt). A minor incident in my view, but guilty as charged. In November of 2004, I was stopped for speeding - 45 mph in a 40 zone!
Although I do have 7 surchargeable offenses according to Mass. law, I believe it's unfair that my license is being suspended for such minor violations. I am not a bad driver, simply "neglectful" at times. I've never had an OUI or a reckless driving or a major accident. The July of '03 speeding and running a stop sign is my most serious offense. I am paying approximately $3,000 a year to insure my '88 GMC pickup truck because of surcharges and also had to attend a driver retraining program last year and pay a hefty fee for that, as well. I really feel that I've been punished enough, and now faced with losing my license for 60 days, my job is also in jeopardy as I travel in excess of 25 miles to and from work each day. What has been the general outcome of appealing a Registry decision such as mine? It's going to cost me $50 for the appeal, as well as a day's pay. Any advice?

JETX

Arvi4 said:
Any advice?
Based on your own statements, I see nothing that you can offer to challenge their claim.... and suspension of your license.
If you want, you can certainly appear at the hearing, but the license is probably gone for a while.... do to YOUR poor driving 'habits'.

Better ease up

and focus on driver saftey. After your suspension, if an officer spots you making an error, he'll likely run your licence plate and see the 7 snafus.

S

seniorjudge

"...I am not a bad driver, simply "neglectful" at times...Any advice?...."
Yes, stop being neglectful. You are hurting yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">