• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with Neighbor's Cats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PurpleOne

What is the name of your state? Texas

My neighbor has 3 cats. The city ordinance limits pets to 3. The condo rules state no more than 2. Which law is enforceable?

Also, I have a convertible. These cats have damage my roof (feces, hair, scratches). I don't think my roof is damaged enough to be replaced, but there is definately property destruction. The management and board will only "ask" the neighbor to keep her cats under control, but will do nothing to enforce this. What legal recourse do I have?

JETX

PurpleOne said:
My neighbor has 3 cats. The city ordinance limits pets to 3. The condo rules state no more than 2. Which law is enforceable?
The ordinance is supported by law.... the condo 'rule' is simply a 'courtesy' at best.

Also, I have a convertible. These cats have damage my roof (feces, hair, scratches). I don't think my roof is damaged enough to be replaced, but there is definately property destruction. The management and board will only "ask" the neighbor to keep her cats under control, but will do nothing to enforce this. What legal recourse do I have?
If you can PROVE that the neighbors cats are the cause of your damage, you could bring a small claims action against her. I would suggest you send her a very nice letter explaining the damage potential and asking her to control her pets and that if she doesn't, you will be forced to pursue a damage claim against her.

You might also check with your local city ordinance as to cats running loose. Most prohibit that and will take action if provided sufficient evidence (video, etc.).... or better yet, the cats hide!!!

rmet4nzkx

Have you thought to get one of those covers for your car? That will protect it from all the neighborhood cats. BTW many cats are going into heat about this time of year, my son just told me his was yawling all night long and wanted out of the house.

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
Scruffy just took a swipe at you through the screen....

I think she's also looking for a fire hydrant :D
Be careful, if she laying out on the windowsill moaning and groaning ;)

rmet4nzkx

Actually there is a cat moaning outside my window right now, I'm about to get the squirt bottle out and settle them down :rolleyes:

No, It would be scruffy on the windowsill, BB requires an entire bay windowseat upon which to recline and moan :D

JETX

rmet4nzkx said:
Actually there is a cat moaning outside my window right now, I'm about to get the squirt bottle out and settle them down
I find that sulfuric or nitric acid in that squirt bottle does wonders. Bet that cat won't be back moaning outside the window..... for very long! :eek:

PurpleOne

Cute...more details please?

These jokes were so funny when they were abouts cats not near me. Please allow me to provide more details, in case there is a solutions besides suing?

First, a cover won't protect my car. The cats will still lay on it and indent my fabric convertible roof. I have lived here 3 years and besides permanent scratches and stains on the roof, it is "structurally" damaged (it sags). Also, my covered parking space is not directly in front of door. It's actually next to psyco cat lady's door. (or else I would have shot them with a BB gun or something else long ago).

Sorry so long, but I can think of no other solution but to sue. Would I need to involve the Condo board at all? Perhaps just a "courtsey" copy of the filing?

Thanks for your advice. This is really a stupid problem with stupid people. It is occupying more of my professional brain than it should.

nanaII

Cats

If your condo homeowner rules & regulations say that the person can only have two cats, they can only have two cats. I would report this woman to management office of the condo association or to a member of the Board. If this issue is ignored by the condo association, I would contact City Animal Control and ask them.

Every city ordinance on loose animals is different, but from my research, all animals must be kept on restraints (they cannot run loose). If not, Animal Control can be called, and the offending animal will be picked up.

PurpleOne

Tried everything...need to go to small claims court?

The condo board pres. stated he had 5 cars ruined by animals/cats, and that's because he has only had 5 cars, he stated. City Animal Control says they will pick up any animal, if you have it in a cage (at mgr. ofc. no doubt). The mgr is a cat owner and says all they can do is a verbal. Animal Control will not come on private (condo) property and apprehend a loose animal.

Soooo...

If I sue in small claims court, do I have to send a notice to the condo board also? Can't I just sue the nasty old cat lady?

Thanks for you help.

nanaII

Cats..

The President of the Association has had cats damage his vehicles and has not dealt with this issue?? Insane!

I assume you have Board meetings (ours were monthly)? If so, has this issue not been brought up? I would be raising cain at the next meeting! Also, if there are other owners that you know of who have vehicles damaged by animals I would make sure to ask them to attend your next board meeting for support and have all of them all stand in support of this issue. Animals absolutely should not be running loose. They should be required to be kept within the condo.

If you decide to sue the owner, I would make SURE all of the Board gets a copy so that they are aware of this so that the issue can be addressed. I am sure you are not the only one dealing with this. If you do sue, they are going to ask you to prove which animal(s) have done the damage.

(If I were you, I would carry a big gunny sack. The next time you see a loose cat, bag it, throw it in the trunk, and take it animal control. Tell them you found it wandering on some city sidewalk and didn't want it to get hit.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">