• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

guest/subtenant issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nnnnn

My landlord has had previous problems with subletters and is now very up tight about people having guests in the building. Do I have to notify him if I have friends staying for a few days if I lend them my keys whether I am here myself or not? And is it illegal to let a friend stay in my apartment for a week or so when I am away on a business trip? If the landlord believes guests are paying subtenants and not guests, can he terminate my lease/bring to court?

Thanks

C

Chad in Chicago

Subtenants are probably not allowed, but I'd have to read the lease and know the local ordinances to give you a real binding answer. Generally you can have a guest over -- unless the lease says otherwise. Getting paid by the guests is a always a no no. I don't thnk you want to have to get the landlord's permission otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">