• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unc93

My family and I have rented a house for almost 3 years, we are now buying a house and asked our landlord if we could be let out of our lease 3 months early (we agreed to forfiet our security deposit), they declined our request but stated that if they were able to re-rent the house before our lease was up, we would be releived of our responsibilities to them. That's all fine, but now they are wanting us to sign a paper stating that we will vacate the premises Feb.1,2000(our lease is until Apr.30,2000), continue to pay rent until april or until it is rented, not be able to re-enter the house(even if it is vacant) and keep the utilities on the entire time. If we turn off the utilities , they can turn them back on and charge them to us. They have said they won't even try to rent the house until we sign the paper. Are we required by law to keep the utilities on, even if no one is living here? Also is unhealthy levels of lead paint in a house something we could try to use to get out of the lease? We rent in Virginia.

C

Chad in Chicago

Separate the issues.

If you want out, they don't have to let you, and if you do, they can set almost any terms and conditions they like, take it or leave it. What they want does not sound unreasonable to me, but I do not know your state's law. Why should THEY be out the money if you want out? Also, you don't want to be sued by a landlord as it is bad for credit and the future.

As for the lead paint, that's not my field, but I'd ask the city or county or state agency that is responsible for lead paint issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">