• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended License - DUI related

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fico5_98

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA

I got my first DUI in 95 in VA, then I got one Mississippi in 02 but since Mississippi restarts the count after 5 years it was considered a first. Anyways, I completed all my sentence requirements (1-day in jail, MASAP course with 3 months license suspension, a $125 reinstatement fee, and an SR-22 filing) by the end of 2002. In early 2004, I moved back to VA with a valid Mississippi license,I got a Progressive Insurance policy for Virginia, the same company I had in Mississippi and asked for an SR-22 to be filed with the Virginia DMV. I then received a valid Virginia driver's license. A month later I received a notice from the DMV saying that my license would be suspended if I did not pay a $125 reinstatement fee and file an SR-22 with Virginia. I was confused as when I look edat my Virginia insurance policy it stated that an SR-22 had been filed by the driver (me), so I called the DMV to say that I had an SR-22 and did I still have to pay a reinstatement fee if I had already paid one in Mississippi. I was told by them that if this was the case then I didn't have to pay a reinstatement fee to them and my license would be valid. A few days ago I was pulled over for speeding and then arrested because my license had apparently been suspended - DUI related. Not only was I taken in but my vehicle was impounded for 30 days. It seems pretty harsh to get a license suspension or possibly jail time because my insurance company didn't file the SR-22 form to the proper state. Anybody have any advice or comments. Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">