• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for denial of Grandparent rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crueak

What is the name of your state?AL

I'm just curious about what grounds do parents have to deny grandparent visitation rights? to make a long story short the Grandmother in question has alot of bad characteristics/morals that I father and mother don't want the child growing up to learn and believe is the right way to live life, It is something that would affect the morality and emotional health of the child. issues involved but not limited to is adultery, pathological lying about herself and the family to other people. Grandmother doesn't harm the child physically but we feel the best interest of my child is to not to let grandmother see the child especially without being under one of our(parents) supervision for the emotional/morality issues. Now about the parents we are divorced and have been for a few years, live in seperate states but do both have physical and legal custody. Do we have grounds to deny the rights? does grandmother have grounds to get the rights? any input would be appreciated cuz this has been an ongoing issue for months and is starting to come down to this. thanks

crueak

LdiJ

Crueak said:
What is the name of your state?AL

I'm just curious about what grounds do parents have to deny grandparent visitation rights? to make a long story short the Grandmother in question has alot of bad characteristics/morals that I father and mother don't want the child growing up to learn and believe is the right way to live life, It is something that would affect the morality and emotional health of the child. issues involved but not limited to is adultery, pathological lying about herself and the family to other people. Grandmother doesn't harm the child physically but we feel the best interest of my child is to not to let grandmother see the child especially without being under one of our(parents) supervision for the emotional/morality issues. Now about the parents we are divorced and have been for a few years, live in seperate states but do both have physical and legal custody. Do we have grounds to deny the rights? does grandmother have grounds to get the rights? any input would be appreciated cuz this has been an ongoing issue for months and is starting to come down to this. thanks

crueak
First you need to understand that grandparents have no inherent "rights". They only have the right to petition a court for visitation rights. Its not the same as a parent vs parent case at all. The burden of proof is on them to show that not only is your decision an incorrect decision, but that it would also somehow cause some harm or distress to the child NOT to visit with them. If BOTH parents are in agreement against visitation, that makes it even more difficult for a grandparent to win.

Also, these cases are expensive for the grandparent and require a pretty hefty retainer. That alone may scare her off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">