• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trying to get money from a real estate investment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grantW

Hi, i had a question. My sister lives in Durham NC. Her and her boyfriend bought a house together. She invested 6,000 of her own money. They ended up breaking up. Everything is in his name and he has been borrowing a lot of money off the house. She is worried that he will cheat her. The original verbal agreement they had was to invest..and then when the house sold she would get her 6,000, he would get what he put in and then they would split whatever profit was left over. She is worried that he will cheat her. Does she have any rights in this situation? With everything in his name does she have any legal recourse? Any help or advice would be most appreciated, thank you.

Email adress is: [email protected]

S

SF Lawyer

She sure does have legal rights, and I am sure if she does nothing she'll be out of luck. But aside from going to small claims court, it will almost certainly take a lawyer to get her the money back.

If I were the lawyer -- and I'm from another state -- I'd check out the paperwork and send a "lawyer's letter" demanding payment. At least I could get a lien filed so he could never sell the land and keep the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">