• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured in Assault by Home Owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pablobono

What is the name of your state? Ohio, but incident occurred in Georgia.

In April of 2004, I was the guest of a resident in a person's home in Georgia. The person I was visiting was the mother of the home owner's grandson.

While I was there, the home owner and I had a verbal disagreement over the care of the small child.

The home owner, in a rage, assaulted me, to the extent that I sustained a fractured pelvis (in two places).

I was able to get back to my feet, and leave the residence, and went to a hospital shortly thereafter.

I did not contact the police immediately to report the incident, as I was concerned for the well being of my friend, who had to live there. I did, however, file a police report over the phone a few days later.

My insurance covered most of the hospital and doctors charges assocaited with this incident, but I still have unpaid medical bills as a result of this.

I haven't pursued this previously, because I was told before that my only recourse was to file an application for arrest warrant in the county in which the incident took place. That would entail a return trip to Georgia for the filing, and another return trip for the hearing.

What is the statute of limitations on this sort of thing? If I were now in a position to travel to Georgia to file the appropriate documentation, is there any likelihood that this person would still be arrested, and/or ordered to pay restitution/pain & suffering, or anything of the sort?

S

seniorjudge

If you feel a crime has been committed, you need to report it to the cops and do what they told you about doing and which you set out in your post.

If you want to file a personal injury suit, get back to Georgia as soon as possible and get a personal injury lawyer. Your rights are fading fast.

Google georgia statute limitation personal injury

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">