• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mobile home on real property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ellana Roberts

I am in Hermiston, Oregon and bought 3 acres 6 years ago for $27,000. I am a single parent and don't make alot of money. 3 years after I purchsed the property, my fiance at the time purchased a mobile home and put it on the property. We all lived in it for a year then we split up and he moved out. I've been living in the home with my two kids since, and paying the payments. I paid the downpayment on the mobile home and all the construction costs for setting it up. Now he wants me to pay the purchase price for the mobile home. The home is on cement runners not a permanent foundation. Is there anything I can do? I need my downpayment and construction costs back if he takes the home and I don't want to buy it for the purchase price since I've already paid the downpayment and all the payments so far. Do you have any suggestions? Can I put a lein on it? Thank you for your time and patience :)

ALawyer

I don't know Oregon law, but you should not have to pay the purchase price for several reasons. You paid the downpayment. You made improvements, and most important, the house is now used and old -- and probably worth a lot less than it cost. In fact the balance due may exceed the value.

However this can get ugly. You should try to put a lien on it, if possible. ANd perhaps you should sue him too for your share. The best suggestion -- get a lawyer in Oregon to write a lawyer's letter to him for you. The lawyer would also detail what could be done if he moves the trailer off the land, and the letter, which probably would be reasonably inexpensive, might provoke a settlement.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">