• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

case closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowbunny101

What is the name of your state? utah

Once a fine has been paid for possession of paraphernalia and posession of marijuana is there any way for the case to be reopened? :confused:

HomeGuru

snowbunny101 said:
What is the name of your state? utah

Once a fine has been paid for possession of paraphernalia and posession of marijuana is there any way for the case to be reopened? :confused:

**A: yes, in very remote situations.

snowbunny101

HomeGuru said:
**A: yes, in very remote situations.

I was also charged with possession while operating the motor vehicle, which I was not doing, so I am hoping this will be grounds enough to have the case reopened.

rmet4nzkx

snowbunny101 said:
I was also charged with possession while operating the motor vehicle, which I was not doing, so I am hoping this will be grounds enough to have the case reopened.
Please explain?

snowbunny101

rmet4nzkx said:
Please explain?
I haven't explained enough? :eek: I was riding along through Utah (of which I am not a resident, thank god) with my boyfriend who was driving and we were stopped by highway patrol for a missing light and he smelled something funny and made us get out of the vehicle. He searched it and found some paraphernalia and marijuana. He arrested my boyfriend for supposedly driving under the influence of marijuana and arrested me for possession of paraphernalia and marijuana and then he let me go and drive the vehicle away. It was my first offense so I paid the fines but then Utah notifed my home state that I was operating the vehicle and I wasn't.

snowbunny101 said:
then he let me go and drive the vehicle away. It was my first offense so I paid the fines but then Utah notifed my home state that I was operating the vehicle and I wasn't.
Hate to state the obvious - so I won't...

snowbunny101 said:
what are you trying to say? If you really hated to state the obvious, why would you post in the first place. :eek:
You state that HE LET YOU DRIVE AWAY - then, in your next breath, you state that you weren't operating the vehicle.

That's what I call stating the obvious - YOU OPERATED THE VEHICLE!

S

seniorjudge

snowbunny101 said:
what are you trying to say? If you really hated to state the obvious, why would you post in the first place. :eek:
The more you explain, the more I get confused.

Please start from the top and give us a chronological explanations of the events and the facts in the case, leaving out your editorial comments.

Thanks.

snowbunny101

TMBrown2004 said:
You state that HE LET YOU DRIVE AWAY - then, in your next breath, you state that you weren't operating the vehicle.

That's what I call stating the obvious - YOU OPERATED THE VEHICLE!
I operated the vehicle because the cop told me to drive it. They can't charge me for something I was instructed to do. When I was driving the vehicle I had possession of nothing illegal because the cop had already removed the items from the vehicle. By the way, I typed this all in one breath. THANKS! :D

snowbunny101

seniorjudge said:
The more you explain, the more I get confused.

Please start from the top and give us a chronological explanations of the events and the facts in the case, leaving out your editorial comments.

Thanks.
I was riding along with my boyfriend who was driving and we were stopped by highway patrol (in Southeast Utah) for a missing light and he smelled something and made us get out of the vehicle. He searched it and found some paraphernalia and marijuana. He asked us when we last smoked, to which we said in Nevada, 8 hours ago. He arrested my boyfriend for driving under the influence of marijuana, possession of paraphernia and possession of a controlled substance. The officer arrested me for possession of paraphernalia and marijuana BUT he let me go at the scene because it was my first offense and we had a lot of expensive items in the car (this was the reason the officer gave for releasing me). I signed the ticket he gave me. I followed him in my boyfriend's car to the highway patrol station where they processed my boyfriend. I then had to follow the officer and my boyfriend for an hour to another highway patrol station where he was booked and I then bailed him out. I payed the fines by mail and a month later received notification from Utah that my Utah driver's license was suspended for 6 months. I do not have a Utah driver's license, but I know that in Utah for any drug related charge they will suspend your license. Utah notified my home state of Minnesota, and my license here was suspended for 30 days for driving the vehicle with posession of a controlled substance. In Minnesota they only suspend your license if you were operating the vehicle and I wasn't.

S

seniorjudge

What Utah laws are cited on the notice you got?

There may be a Utah law that says if you are convicted of dope possession that you get your operator's license revoked.

But, I do not know.

If you can't find the statutes you were suspended under, call the licensing authority in Utah about that notice and ask them what statutes you were suspended under.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">