• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

have a question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have a 3 year old who only see's his father maybe twice a year and thats only if i contact the father. He owes over 15,000 in support and i have tried to get the courts to let my mother adopt my son and the father give up his rights which he was more than willing to do. Which the judge denied. Very stupid I gave my son his fathers last name since we were together at the time. What I'm wondering is can I change his last name to mine and how would I do that if I can?
Thank you

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

jennifer6219 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have a 3 year old who only see's his father maybe twice a year and thats only if i contact the father. He owes over 15,000 in support and i have tried to get the courts to let my mother adopt my son and the father give up his rights which he was more than willing to do. Which the judge denied. Very stupid I gave my son his fathers last name since we were together at the time. What I'm wondering is can I change his last name to mine and how would I do that if I can?
Thank you
You can change his name by petitioning the court but his father would have to agree. Why would that make any difference? Why do you need your mother to adopt your child, are you giving up parental rights also? Why havent you pursued child support?

no i'm not giving up my rights. once upon a time when i first started the custody the father knew he was going to have to pay and he wanted to give up his rights to get out of paying. I was told in order for him to give up his rights i would have to have someone adopt to help pay for the child. and since my mother already does so much we went ahead and tried but were denied. My son has penty of strong responsible male role models in his life so we were hoping for the best but it did not work out that way. I have treid to proceed with support I called the cs division every month so his name would pop up and put a red flag on and they finally caught on and up that he was so far behind arrested him he paid 1500 to get out. on our last court date the judge upt his payment 125 and said he would have to make a payment by jan 10th or he would have a 90% chance of going to jail. needless to say he made no payment. I really wish the court would have let me mother adopt my son so the father would be legally out of the picture since that is the way it is. all thought it is unfair to my son. but with the way the father is right now it really is in the best intrest of my son. or at least i like to think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">