• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House On Fire, Where's My Stuff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpulley

What is the name of your state? OREGON
MY HOSE BURNED DOWN A FEW WEEKS BACK. INSURANCE COMPANY RECOMENDED A RESTORATION COMPANY..THEY CAME IN UNAUTHORIZED AND TOOK 95% OF MY STUFF THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE SALVAGABLE...NOW THEY WANT $17,000 FOR MOVING THE STUFF BEFORE THEY WILL RELEASE IT...i DIDN'T HIRE THEM NOR TDO i WANT TO PAY THEM...SO, HERE i SIT IN THIS HOTEL ROOM, 1 MONTH DOWN..STILL NO WHERE. HELP!undefined

2 Bagger

Look up the terms Bailment and Replevin.

They should help answer your questions. Either way, keep pressure on the inurance company and continue to explain that the contractor was hired by the insurer. Hired by insurer, hired by insurer, hired by insurer....

Claimlaw

Mr. Ricco

You undoubtedly signed an Autorization requested by the restoration company; that is the normal practice. Tell them you want a copy of anything you signed which provided them with the authority to preform work on your contents. This Autho also probably contained a "direct pay" authorization which means your company will pay them direct or already has without your name on the check.

The above is common insurance company practice today. Why? It saves the insurance company money.

There are steps you can take to protect your interests at this point. Recommend you see a lawyer who specializes in property insurance law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">