• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

impounded motor vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhirhi

What is the name of your state? Ca.

My daughter took my car unknown to me, she is not allowed to drive because she has a suspended license. She was stopped by a motorcycle cop for speeding and they impounded the car, supposedly it is a 30 day impound. I was told that I can go to the Auto detectives at my local police station on Monday morning and speak to them. Will I be able to get my car back then or would I have to wait 30days.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rhirhi said:
What is the name of your state? Ca.

My daughter took my car unknown to me, she is not allowed to drive because she has a suspended license. She was stopped by a motorcycle cop for speeding and they impounded the car, supposedly it is a 30 day impound. I was told that I can go to the Auto detectives at my local police station on Monday morning and speak to them. Will I be able to get my car back then or would I have to wait 30days.

My response:

More than likely you'll have to wait the 30 days. You made the keys available to her - - whether or not you wanted her to drive. Next time, safeguard the keys. Either that, or kick her ass out.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rhirhi said:
I did not make the keys available to her, she stole them.

My response:

If you didn't make the keys available, then tell me, how did she get them? Were they in your purse, on the table, in a dresser drawer? Or did she hold a gun to your head and force you to give her the keys? Anything less than lethal force, then you made the keys available to her. That's the way the CHP is going to look at it too.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rhirhi said:
You are an *******. I hope all the senior members are not as stupid and arrogant as you are.

My response:

Your ignorance of the law DOESN'T make me arrogant. If you don't like the law, then petition the legislature to change it. Until then, you're the one on the hook.

Too bad for you.

IAAL

CdwJava

The Hearing Officer CAN release the vehicle to you should he/she choose to. But, most of us (and I am the H.O. for my agency) would be more convinced of the unlawful taking of the vehicle if you request charges for auto theft or joyriding. Lacking that, you can likely expect the full 30 days and the requisite impound and release fees.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">