• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fix-it tickets found unconstitutional?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Louiser

What is the name of your state?WA state

My friend told me that WA state supreme court recently (earlier this year) found that suspending driver licenses for unfixed 'fix-it' tickets is unconstitutional. I would like to know how to confirm this decision AND, if true, is it for past as well as future tickets and how to attend this to get her license back.
Thank you

Louiser

Fix-it ticket found unconstitutional?

I did use google-I try to research what I can first. I have link to the state supreme court and did searches there but was unsuccessful. It may not be on the site or I am not searching according to the correct terms or I am simply not utilizing the site correctly. I was also unable to find info on a general search on google but my friend is a pretty sharp skeptic so I would think the failure is mine.
I did mistake the signature line for the post the first time I saw a reply to my post-again, my mistake (good thing I am a nurse and not a lawyer).

Last edited:

racer72

Louiser said:
What is the name of your state?WA state

My friend told me that WA state supreme court recently (earlier this year) found that suspending driver licenses for unfixed 'fix-it' tickets is unconstitutional. I would like to know how to confirm this decision AND, if true, is it for past as well as future tickets and how to attend this to get her license back.
Thank you
The Washington state Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional to suspend the driver's license of someone who failed to appear for a court hearing. They ruled that due process cannot happen without the defendant being present. They also ruled that only the courts have the authority to suspend license's, the Department of Licensing does not have the authority.

What does this mean to someone that received a ticket and blew it off? It means the ticket is still valid. It means you have an FTA warrant. It means if you are pulled over you will not get a ticket for driving on a suspended license but you will be arrested because of the warrant. You will then get your hearing which will most likely result in your license being suspended and a court date will be set for a future hearing. If you have a bunch of cash hand, you can pay your fines and go get your license. And in the case of a fix it ticket, the vehicle will have to be inspected by the WSP too. It could also result in towing and storage fee for your vehicle too. The only way to have one's driving privelige restored is to take care of the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">