• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ School Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mumuhead

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I recently received a ticket for speeding in a New Jersey school zone. I was going 40 mph which is the posted speed limit of the road. However, school zone limit is 25 mph. So, my ticket is for 40 in a 25 zone. Below is the school zone statute for NJ:

25 MPH either when passing through a school zone during recess, while children are visible from the roadway or when children are either going to or leaving a school during opening or closing hours.

I received the ticket at 8:30 and the school day starts at 8:10. There are flashing amber lights that I did not see flashing and the officer said they were flashing. The office was parked between the school lights as well with both flashing lights facing away from him. Lights are not a state law for school zones either. Sign says 25 MPH when children are present.

So, children were not visible and they weren't on recess or entering the school as noted by the 8:10 start time.

Any help with the situation is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">