• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor Charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bifford

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan, Lapeer County.

A State Cop pulled me over in Lapeer County. The cop asked for license and registration, which I handed to him. He asked me to step out of the car. I went in front of the patrol car and he asked me if there was anything in the car. I replied no. He then said, "Well, I'm going to give you 2 choices. You can tell me what’s in there now and we might let you go, or we can call the dogs and you can go to jail." So I told him where the marijuana was (about an eighth) and he cuffed me and put me in the back of the squad car.

I was arrested and printed, but they let me go and didn’t take me to jail. I have a court date in 2 months, and this is my first offense for anything. I have never been to court before, and never been in trouble with the law before. What should I do at this appearance? Plead guilty? Not guilty?

I figured since I cooperated with the cops and everything that they might just put me on probation and not give me any jail time. I am going to stop smoking so they can test me and see that I have stopped, and maybe that will persuade them or something. I don’t really know, I'm just real nervous.

In case you don't know, Lapeer County is very strict on possession laws. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Even if it is a misdemeanor quantity I'd still hire an attorney who can negotiate the most favorable plea deal. I'm not an attorney by the way, so this is an ubiased opinion. Because it is only a misdemeanor it won't cost too much to retain an attorney, and the long term effects vs. the short term costs will be well worth the investment.

Just try to get a reputable attorney and not some shyster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">