• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding and no license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hchaz

What is the name of your state? California

Last Sunday, I was riding my bike. I got on the 15 freeway and sped up to traffic. About 5 miles later, a chp gets right behind me and pulls me over. I was going with the flow of traffic. I have no plate on the bike because motor vehicals hasn't sent me one yet. (new bike) The chp asks me for license and reg. I have a permit but not with me. I give him my car license. He puts me in the back of patrol car and has my bike impounded for driving out of class. He than drives me towards my home. Almost there, he starts speeding ahead and dropping back around another car. He gets to my exit and tells me he has to let me out there so he can go find the car he was checking out b/c of a possible domestic disput. The car got off at the privious exit.
He let's me out and gives me a ticket.
22349 (a)vc speeding
12500 (b) vc no motorcycle dl

In the area on the ticket where it states aprox speed, he put 80+
His radar didn't show any speed when I got in his car, there was a lot of traffic on the 5 lane freeway and it was dusk so I doubt he paced me. My license is clean (for now)
Calif motorcycle permit states no driving on freeways.
Any idea how many points that one is? Do you think I can get out of the speeding ticket or should I just go to traffic school. I had a m/c license in NY for about 15 years but Calif wouldn't let me transfer it.

Thanks, H

JETX

Okay, lets see if I have this right.....
- You were driving a motorcycle with NO license plates.
- You did not have a license.
- You were speeding.
Is that correct??

Any idea how many points that one is?
Yep. In the immortal words of the greatest Marine, Gen. Chesty Puller... "Son, that is a pisspot full!".

Do you think I can get out of the speeding ticket
On what basis. You have offered NOTHING to even suggest you can 'get out' of the ticket!!

or should I just go to traffic school.
That sounds like an excellent idea!!! But it won't remove the tickets.

I had a m/c license in NY for about 15 years but Calif wouldn't let me transfer it.
So what?? Did you have an accident without a helmet on??

hchaz

Well, the bike was registered and I had the temporary registration but dmv is slow to send out the plates in Cal.
I know I was driving out of class, so I am guilty of that.
The ticket indicated no sure speed. That is the one I want to get out of.
If you are bored and just want to respond with quotes from unheard of generals, save it for your autobiography.

JETX

hchaz said:
Well, the bike was registered and I had the temporary registration but dmv is slow to send out the plates in Cal.
I know I was driving out of class, so I am guilty of that.
The ticket indicated no sure speed. That is the one I want to get out of.
If you are bored and just want to respond with quotes from unheard of generals, save it for your autobiography.
Awwww, did my comments hurt your poor little feelings??
Lets try this:
You are a stupid friggin' idiot for deciding to ride your motorcycle without a license plate, without a license, and then speeding.
Clearly, you don't have the intelligence to present a valid defense in court, even if you had one.
Go ahead and go to court. Suggestion: Take LOTS of money!! :D

hchaz

I don't believe I gave any indication of hurt feelings. I would be suprised if some words written by someone hiding behind a monitor let alone anyone. I was merely suggesting that if you don't have any answers of help to my question, move on. No one who buys a vehical in Califonia gets plates right away unless they are transfering them from another vehical. So, riding without plates was not a violation or infraction.

JETX

hchaz said:
No one who buys a vehical in Califonia gets plates right away unless they are transfering them from another vehical. So, riding without plates was not a violation or infraction.
First, it is VEHICLE, you nitwit!!!
Second, it is CALIFORNIA!!!
Finally, granted, people don't get license plates right away, but they do get dealer tags when they buy them... or at least have current tags from the previous state!! No one with half a mind even considers "DUH!!! I guess I don't need license plates!" and then decides to ride off into the sunset!!!

You really did eat two slices of that 'stupid cake', didn't you???

CdwJava

Dusk or not, he almost cetainly at least paced or made a visual estimation of your speed. You MIGHT be able to beat that one, but the driving out of class (CVC 12500) is a misdemanor, so THAT is the biggie in the pea soup you find yourself in.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're done. However, an expensive attorney might get the speed pled down to unsafe speed (CVC 22350), but it won't do you a whole lot of good save for the fine.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">