• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duplex Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnlbisson

I purchased a duplex in Florida in order to have a sinlge mother and her child live in one unit and rent the other unit as short and long term rentals in order to offset expenses and allow her to live at this resort property/island. As an owner, I have not received or requested any income from this property. The sole purpose is for a home for this mother and child. Question? Is this property considered residential or commercial? This is in reference to a lawsuit filed against the seller of the property for latent defects. Under a Florida case, Johnson v. Davis, they had a similar situation, but it was residential. Commercial property is treated differently in Florida, where Caveat Emptor is more applicable to the commercial property owner!

[This message has been edited by johnlbisson (edited January 03, 2000).]

ALawyer

I assume you mean for property tax purposes? It may also have income tak purposes. This is a specific question of Florida law that your accountant may be able to help you with from an overall perspective.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">