• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return of last month rent

• Thread starter Horrified Landlord
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Horrified Landlord

I own a 2-br condo, and rented out 1 room to a professional guy. He looked quiet and kept to himself most of the time, and I seldom saw him. One night I came back very late and was horrified to find there was an orgy in my living room with some of the wierdest people I had seen. I told the tenant that this is unacceptable and he cannot stay here any longer, and that I need to talk to him the following morning. In the morning he had left with a lot of his stuff leaving me a note that he would come back for the remaining stuff on the wekend, but came in after that when I was at work. He took away his belongings and left the keys on the table. I found from the trash that he was smoking in the unit and doing drugs as well.
(I still have retained the stuff and his note)

He was on a month to month lease, and I have the last month's rent still with me. Am I obliged to return it under the circumstances?

M

Moe from MO

I would not, and I'd let him sue me -- and then tell him you'd turn the stuff over to the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">