• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any repercussion after 2 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksu_engineer

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I sold an engine on ebay approximately two years ago, describing it just how I bought it from a machine shop that was going out of business. It was sold with no warranty, as are all of my car parts. The buyer asked many questions about the condition of it, which I answered to him over the phone to the best of my knowledge while inspecting the engine. The all happened approximately two years ago. I received a call from the gentleman this morning, saying that he had just unwrapped the item last week and taken it to his machine shop to have a couple of parts changed on it. He was informed that there were internal problems with the engine, none of which I knowingly misrepresented (I simply gave him the information that I was given, and I did not tear down the engine for inspection). He wants to know what I am willing to do for him. If this would have come to light at the time of the transaction, I would have no problem refunding the buyers money. However, it is two years later. By the way, the buyer is located in the state of MN. Do I have any legal responsibility to this?

Thanks

John

S

seniorjudge

You sold him salvage, he got salvage.

What's his complaint?

ksu_engineer

It wasn't sold as salvage...I bought the motor from a machine shop...it didn't fit my needs, so I sold it to this gentleman as a rebuilt engine. It wasn't perfect for his needs, so he took it to a machine shop to have some work done on it. That's when they found the problems, but again it is now two years after the transaction took place. I don't even remember how much I sold it to him for it was so long ago. I think it was around $1200, but I have no way to verify that even.

John

S

seniorjudge

ksu_engineer said:
It wasn't sold as salvage...I bought the motor from a machine shop...it didn't fit my needs, so I sold it to this gentleman as a rebuilt engine. It wasn't perfect for his needs, so he took it to a machine shop to have some work done on it. That's when they found the problems, but again it is now two years after the transaction took place. I don't even remember how much I sold it to him for it was so long ago. I think it was around $1200, but I have no way to verify that even.

John
Tell the guy to re-sell it on ebay for $100 more than he has in it.
Or buy it back from him and then you re-sell it for $200 more than you have in it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">