• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short term disability won't pay benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diane123

I live in Louisiana. I pay premiums monthly for short term disability insurance ( 1 year). I did use this and was paid benefits for one year from June 2003-2004 for a back injury. I now have other health issues which are not related, and still being diagnosed. My policy states I would be covered for a one year period of disability if 1) I returned to work OR 2) have an unrelated diagnosis. I am being treated for fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, severe anxiety and tests have shown positive for ankylosing spondilitis. I am awaiting a rheumatology appt in March. I applied for benefits, after reading my policy over and over, and it seems to me that I qualify. They denied me, saying I had used my period of disability. I am still employed. I don't agree with this, and will file an appeal. Can you give me your opinion and advice? Thank you very much.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Without having read your policy, any opinion anyone here could offer would be meaningless.

I live in NY and have a short term disability policy and it also states that I have 6 months per disability but I am only allowed 1 claim per working year. In other words if I have a claim now, I won't be allowed another one untill after this time next year after going back to work. You need to read the fine print.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">