• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metop

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania
Wearing seat belt, backing slowly out of my driveway. Another vehicle slid into me (heavy snowstorm), damaged my (left)rear bumper. There was also damage to his right front end. He does not have insurance. He only gave me his name/address and told me he would get insurance the following Monday. No one was injured. I am going to report this to my insurance company first thing Monday AM. Should I have notified the police since he did not have insurance at the time of the accident? He wants me to pay for half of his damage since (he claims) it was my fault. Please advise.

HomeGuru

metop said:
Pennsylvania
Wearing seat belt, backing slowly out of my driveway. Another vehicle slid into me (heavy snowstorm), damaged my (left)rear bumper. There was also damage to his right front end. He does not have insurance. He only gave me his name/address and told me he would get insurance the following Monday. No one was injured. I am going to report this to my insurance company first thing Monday AM. Should I have notified the police since he did not have insurance at the time of the accident? He wants me to pay for half of his damage since (he claims) it was my fault. Please advise.
**A: why didn't you call the police?

metop

Frankly, I should have. I was at home, but (being female)I felt quite intimidated, i.e. slight fear as to possible retribution if I called police.

HomeGuru

metop said:
Frankly, I should have. I was at home, but (being female)I felt quite intimidated, i.e. slight fear as to possible retribution if I called police.

**A: intimidated, not? Intimidated is when Breezy comes over to your place and drops his pants.

S

seniorjudge

metop said:
Pennsylvania
Sometimes the cops say during storms, "Exchange info and tell us later." Let's hope they did that during the latest round of storms.

Anyway, it looks like a 50-50 deal here. Both of y'all were negligent; you were in his lane of traffic and he couldn't control his vehicle.

You definitely need to report this to your insurance carrier and to the cops.

Then do some investigation about reporting an uninsured motorist.

BTW, do not talk to that guy again.

If he gets insurance Monday, it will not cover this accident.

After you notify the police and you insurance company, let your insurance company handle it, that's what you pay them to do.

S

seniorjudge

HomeGuru said:
**A: intimidated, not? Intimidated is when Breezy comes over to your place and drops his pants.
I disagree.

Intimidated is when Breezy THINKS about coming over to your place and dropping his pants. :eek:

metop

Intimidated

I respectfully appreciate your insight/imput/?able wisdom. Maybe your next door neighbor will decide to move and you can walk in my moccasins.

S

seniorjudge

metop said:
I respectfully appreciate your insight/imput/?able wisdom. Maybe your next door neighbor will decide to move and you can walk in my moccasins.
Needless to say, do NOT talk to that guy again!

You Are Guilty

Just a thought - You might want to take him up on that 50% offer since most police and insurance companies will deem you 100% liable as you were the one backing up into the roadway. (If you do take him up on the 50%, make sure you get a written release signed!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">