• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disagreeable heirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

simon

I own a piece of property (in South Carolina)jointly with several other family members. Over the years, the property has increased in value. Everyone in the family wants to sell the property, but we have one family member who is refusing to sell. In fact, as he says (angrily), "I'll fight you in court." With the majority of owners looking to sell and get their cash, what's the legal process? Do we go to court and, if so, what might we expect? Will the judge rule with the majority of owners? Can we expect a long, protracted and expensive court battle? Or, are there other ways to prevent going to court? Can we file any legal action with the court that would allow us to sell the property without his agreement?

------------------
simon

[This message has been edited by simon (edited January 07, 2000).]

ALawyer

It depends on all the facts -- but one "partner" usually can't block a sale. The court may partition the property or do something else. However, instead of guessing, and losing sleep over it and letting the property stand idle, go to a lawyer in the community who does real estate law. Discuss it with the lawyer in detail.. S/he may suggest court, or a letter to the recalictrant partner, or mediation, etc.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">