• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal adoption??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zwickerj

Back in 82 I was born in vancouver washington and adopted out to a couple in portland oregon. But I recently needed to get a copy of my birth certificate but the one that I had before was completly blank until I was 15. Now I found out that my adopted parents burned all adoption records. I feel like I have hit a brick wall. Help????

nextwife

Adoptive birth certificates (naming the adoptive parents as the legal parents) are available to the adopted child from the applicable state/county vital records office. The birth certificate originally issued at birth will NOT be available to you.

Last edited:

trigueoh

WA Search

zwickerj said:
Back in 82 I was born in vancouver washington and adopted out to a couple in portland oregon. But I recently needed to get a copy of my birth certificate but the one that I had before was completly blank until I was 15. Now I found out that my adopted parents burned all adoption records. I feel like I have hit a brick wall. Help????

Write to: Dept. Social, Health Post Adoption Unit Office Building #2 Olympia, WA 98504 (PH)206/753-0965 and find out how to obtain your non-identifying information. Once you have your non-identifying information, visit some adoption forums (google adoption forum) and see if any of the search angels can assist you with your search for information. Also be sure to register on every reunion registry you can find. You will definitely want to register with ISSR http://www.isrr.net/

Good luck to you.

CMSC

zwickerj said:
Do you know if your adoption was finalized in Oregon or Washington? If it was in Oregon your records are open. Even if you were adopted you will have a birth certificate, it will just be ammended to reflect your adoptive parents as your parents and it will have your adoptive name on it.

What do you mean your birth certificate was blank until you were 15?? You had just a piece of paper with no information or anything on it? What happened when you were 15 that it was finally filled out?

nextwife

CMSC said:
Even if you were adopted you will have a birth certificate, it will just be ammended to reflect your adoptive parents as your parents and it will have your adoptive name on it.
AND it is part of the public record. The parents can't "burn" those records, theirs was only a copy from the record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">