• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recourse on breach of contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaezle1

PLEASE NOTE: THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN EDITED (AT BOTTOM IN BOLD LETTERS) TO PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION FOR A MORE DETAILED ANSWER (THANK YOU)
In Georgia:I recently moved into a house with a married woman and 2 girls. Her husband had moved out and agreed verbally for me to move into the house. I have a written agreement with her. Unknowing of the domestic violence and drama that the couple has been engaged in in the past I found out at the day of the move that her husband told her that my brother (who helped me move)was not welcome to stay over night and nobody else was neither. He threatened her that he would make the divorce messy and that he would try to get full custody of her children if my brother stayed that night. She was intimidated and asked that I should agree on those terms or else I could not stay.I told her and him that that was unreasonable and that I could not stay in a home and pay rent if not even my relatives could spend the night.Also, i had even asked her about relatives visiting and she had no problem with that at all. I had extra expenses moving in and out and want to know if i have recourse in small claims court.
THE RENTAL AGREEMENT CONSISTED OF A SHORT TYPED NOTE THAT JUST STATED THE DATE OF MOVE IN, THE AMOUNT OF RENT AND 30 DAY NOTICE BEFORE TERMINATION OF AGGREEMENT.I AM ASSUMING A GOOD CHANCE IN COURT SIMPLY BECAUSE MY ARGUMENT IS THAT IT IS UNREASONABLE TO DISALLOW RENTERS TO HAVE VISITORS. ALSO, I EVEN DISCUSSED IT WITH THE WIFE AND SHE SAW NO PROBLEM WITH MY BROTHER STAYING OVER.
ON WHAT GROUNDS DO YOU SEE THIS "CASE" TO BE A "LOOSER IN COURT"?
THANK YOU

[This message has been edited by kaezle1 (edited January 08, 2000).]

ALawyer

It all depends on what the "agreement" you made says, but this is probably a loser in court.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">