• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken NY lease and collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JesseV

Hello,
Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Here's the situation:

I lived in an apartment in New York state for 11 months. My lease was for 13 months, but outside influences and family situations prompted me to move closer to home.

I alerted the landlord in writing a little over a month before I left. That was 3 months ago.

Today, I received a notice that the account would be referred to a collection agency if I did not send payment for the remainder of the lease within 15 days.

I am well aware that I broke the terms of the lease, and agree that I should have to pay *something* as penalty. But, my question is this: I can't afford to pay the full amount they are requesting all at once. Would it be worth pursuing legal counsel to try to reduce the amount owed? My other option is to try to work out a payment process with the landlord, though I get the impression I'm just another case and would be "wasting their time" by trying. What are your suggestions?

N

NY Lawyer

Unless the rent is very big, and there are grounds to negotiate or break the lease, I am sorry to say a lawyer probably won't add value for a 2 month matter.

You probably owe it. Changing your mind or a family emergency is NOT grounds to break a lease and walk off. And it costs the landlord to clean up, show the property and re-rent it.

Find out if the landlord re-let the place before the time was up, and if so you may be able to mitigate, but my guess is you are SOL>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">