• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My supposed verbal purchase contract.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Khaos

Hello, I am looking for some answers...
What I have is a verbal contract over a house in Nebraska- the seller is now saying that as I haven't paid any "rent" I now owe them the sum total of $1600.00 plus their court costs.
This is the reason why I kept asking them for a written contract. They have put me off until I have been forced to pay an amount that I feel is ridiculous for rent in this small town. It seems that my purchase has become rent without notification- or a contract in any written form. I am being sued for the above amount, and it is their word against mine. But how and what do I do to force these people to comply with the original agreement, which was contigent upon a written contract?
They are also saying that I ahve not paid them anything- which is incorrect, as I am holding a receipt for a downpayment of $400.00, which was mailed to them on the 28th of September last year.
What, if any are my options?
Khaos

------------------

N

NY Lawyer

In my state contracts for the purchase and sale of property MUST be in writing and signed.

Short term leases do not. That seems to be what they are complaining about -- did you occupy the premises?

K

Khaos

I did, and the status of the purchase was on a rent to own basis, contingent upon my receiving a written contract, but I have not received any such documentation, and have contacted an atty here in the state, who said that all real estate must be in writing.
Since they did not produce a contract, and they have misrepresented the actual date of my occupancy and said that I did not pay any money whatsover (another misrepresentation) I can relocate to another property and prove reasonable rent for the previous one. Which I am in the process of doing.
The biggest problem here is that I did, when I agreed to purchase the house, pay a deposit fee based upon the terms of the verbal agreement- with the expectation that I would receive a written contract and have possession of the deed for the property at the end of my payments.
Therefore ,since there is no documentation of intent to sell upon their part, and I no longer wish to purchase, I am uncertain as to how they will react, since I am not aware of this becoming a short term lease as a default upon their lack of producing a written sales contract. Or how the leagal code reads with respect to the situation.
Thank you for your reply.
Khaos

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">