• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in VA (???)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shernon

Hi all,

I from Florida and was traveling to Virginia this past holiday (Christmas). Well to make a slong story short, I had cruise control set at the posted limit of 65 on I-95. I watch these two cars play cat and mouse for about 5 miles and decided i better get in the far right lane so that i'm far out of their way. (I was in the passing lane for a while with one vehicle in front of me, two in the center lane and zero in the far right lane)

As I watched one vehicle fly around me, i went to get out of the way for the other...

well as I sped up to get over to the far right lane ( i increased my speed up to about 70mph to do so)...I watched a car (later turned to be an unmarked police car) speed up on my tail and lit up his lights and sirens. This unmarked cop car was about a little under a qauter mile behind me when i guess he saw me speeding up (didn't realize i was getting out of the way of the real speeders)..so he decides to speed up to catch up to me (which i was traveling just a few miles over 65 (the posted limit) and "paced" me at 94mph.

I almost got nasty with him because that was a dead lie to my face. I figured i'd wait to have my day in court though.

All in all, he says he paced me at 94mph in a 65mph zone. So of course i'm facing Reckless Driving charges in the state of Virginia (VA)

Any help on what I can do to fight this would be very much appreicated!!!

lwpat

I figured i'd wait to have my day in court though.
Good choice. Never give an officer anything to remember you by. This ticket will cause a serious crimp in your pocketbook at insurance renewal. If you show for court it is likely that they will reduce it to speeding but at 94mph the judge might decide to make you an example. Be sure to get a certified copy of your record to prove that it is clean. It is isn't it?

In you place I would retain an attorney to try to negotiate something so I did not have to go back to VA.

You really want to pay attention to LWPAT's advise to get legal help on this one. Scan the 100+ VA threads here to learn more why.

Probably will be a bit tough for the judge to buy the watching two cars playing cat & mouse for 5 miles story since it is unlikely those two vehicles were averaging the speed limit.

shernon

Thanks all for the comments/advise!

QUESTION: Is the fact that he "paced me" mean anything? I just spoke with a lawyer and he wants $1,500 (win or lose)...this is insane. I think i will buy the ebook everyone is talking about (beating your speeding ticket) and do my homework and cross my fingers.

Last edited:
Pacing can be more reliable than radar and probably not help you.

Do not mess around with this, the risks of a 94 in a 65 are substantially more than a speeding ticket most anywhere else. Take the time to calculate the cost of loosing your licence, your insurance doubling for 3 years and potentially spending a few days in jail.

The reasons the fees are so high is the risks are high. Make sure you talk to more than one lawyer and ask for references. Someone close to the court house can be more cost effective than someone who has to drive from another town plus they will probably be know the officers, be buddies with the DA, Judges etc.

sean13

don't bother...

shernon said:
Thanks all for the comments/advise!

QUESTION: Is the fact that he "paced me" mean anything? I just spoke with a lawyer and he wants $1,500 (win or lose)...this is insane. I think i will buy the ebook everyone is talking about (beating your speeding ticket) and do my homework and cross my fingers.
Shernon,

What part of VA?

1500 is stiff, you can get someone for between 750 and 1200. They hand out Reckless Driving like candy in NoVA. In Fairfax you are looking at potential jail time and loss off license for anywhere from 30 to 180 days.

Luckily you were paced so you have some possibility of knocking it down.

Think lawyer and start saving. Not trying be bitter but realistic...

Sean

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">