• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkilgore56

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina
10 years ago I was charged with possession of cocaine. Would the charges still be pending. I have not gone to court since the charge. Right now I live in a different state(IL). I was trying to get a license and they said I had to take care of problems in NC first. I just need to know how long the charges will be on the books. How to take care of it witout going back to NC.

Thanks

Son of Slam

rkilgore56 said:
10 years ago I was charged with possession of cocaine. Would the charges still be pending. I have not gone to court since the charge. Right now I live in a different state(IL). I was trying to get a license and they said I had to take care of problems in NC first. I just need to know how long the charges will be on the books. How to take care of it witout going back to NC.

Thanks

Take your time. There is a nice jail cell that can wait for many, many years for you in NC .

S

seniorjudge

rkilgore56 said:

Thanks
The statute of limitations stopped running when the charges were filed.

boonehead

I thought you had a right to a trail in the U.S.A, And I do believe in the constitution you have the right to a trail in a reasonable time,ten years is not a reasonable time.I'm sure they still have all the evidence still in the evidence room, and the arresting officer (if not retired or deceased) is still waiting to testify with a clear memory of the whole incedent

boonehead said:
I thought you had a right to a trail in the U.S.A, And I do believe in the constitution you have the right to a trail in a reasonable time,ten years is not a reasonable time.I'm sure they still have all the evidence still in the evidence room, and the arresting officer (if not retired or deceased) is still waiting to testify with a clear memory of the whole incedent
You are correct. You do indeed have a right to a trial within a reasonable amount of time.

In order to avail yourself of the right to face your accuser, you must do precisely that. Face your accuser. Not run away or otherwise be unavailable to avail yourself of your right to a trial.

Do not worry. Your right to a trial is still in effect.

In all likihood, you will get one.

S

seniorjudge

boonehead said:
Surrender in NC and you will get your trial.

boonehead said:
Dang skippy you have a right to a trail. There are some nices ones in my neck of the woods. Let's see, there's the coastal trail, the pacific trail..... And not once have I had to wait ten years for one! Hike on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">