• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL in Kansas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinkerbell725

What is the name of your state? Florida

I know someone that has gone AWOL from Naval Basic Training in Great Lakes, IL and notified us (family) from the state of Kansas. We have no relatives or friends in Kansas and after reading several posts I've seen mentions of Kansas such as:

From rmet4nzkx: You do realize that the best was to get separated from the Army is while you are still in, not AWOL, you could spend some time in Kansas?
From lvn4ever: Thats a lot more agreable than the alternatives....time in Kansas.

Both of these were on posts about people going AWOL. My question to you all is is there something about Kansas to the extent that people cannot be caught or punished in that state?

Also, what would be the best advice to give to this person about returning to basic, as he has been AWOL for about 10 days and I know after 30 he is flagged as a deserter. Is there anything you can think of that will encourage him to go back and what type of punishment should he expect upon return?
Please advise.

Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

My question to you all is is there something about Kansas to the extent that people cannot be caught or punished in that state?
It's calle the Federal Prison in Leavenworth, KS. ;)

Is there anything you can think of that will encourage him to go back and what type of punishment should he expect upon return?
Yes, tell him to visit Leavenworth and ask himself if this is where he REALLY wants to serve out his tour of duty?

tinkerbell725

Thank you so much.
By the way, I love the quote.

Do you (or anyone else) have any advice as to how he can get back to Great Lakes? (We think he's out of money now)

BelizeBreeze

tinkerbell725 said:
Thank you so much.
By the way, I love the quote.

Do you (or anyone else) have any advice as to how he can get back to Great Lakes? (We think he's out of money now)
Sure, turn himself in to the local police department. The Military will transport him back :D

lvn4ever

AWOL in kansas

FL I am sure you have read all the postings about AWOL so this is redundant...but it is a nightmare for the family and for the person too, I guess. Our guy is still AWOL (90 days) and my research on the subject never seems to end. I sympathize. The "gates" of gravity that they pass through are 24 hours, 3 days and 30 days. At about 60 days, some attys have said, there is an "understood" gate of "lack of plausibility"....up until that time, it might be said that the soldier "thought" they were on leave and then at the end of their "leave " time showed back up in BDU's and boots, ready to serve. Pretty hard to plead that after 60 days.

Our biggest concern is coming back under control by apprehension (Having their license run by police or arrested for a crime...even for a simple moving violation) Often what happens to these people (I have been told) is that they become desperate when funds run out. They shoplift , deal drugs or commit some other, perhaps, out of character crime, that leads to their arrest. Another scenerio that came up several times in my talking to MPs, CID etc, is that they find someone willing to help them for a time. When anxiety rises, relationship goes sour and the ex-girlfriend turns them in for revenge. Apprehension is MUCH worse than surrender.

If you want me share some of the research I've done as to what the chain of events will be when they come under military control, you can contact me
[email protected]. I don't know how germaine or reliable my info is, but I will gladly share where I got it and what it is.

badapple40

BelizeBreeze said:
It's calle the Federal Prison in Leavenworth, KS. ;)

Yes, tell him to visit Leavenworth and ask himself if this is where he REALLY wants to serve out his tour of duty?
Its not the Federal Prison at Leavenworth (there is a Federal Prison there). It is the USDB, or U.S. Disciplinary Barracks, e.g. where we send serious offenders and officers to do time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">