• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fell on Icy Stairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hnramsey

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am a graduate student at a public university in NC. This past weekend (Saturday), I came to my department's building to work on my thesis as I always do on the weekends. I slipped on ice while walking down some outside stairs. I thought that I was ok but I still called the university's office of Public Safety to report the incident and to tell them that they needed to salt the stairs. I then filed a police report with the Office of Public Safety just in case I had any injuries (the Public Safety Office recommended that I do this). By Monday I was in so much pain that I decided to go to Student Health to have my tailbone examined. I found out that I have a chipped tailbone and they took several xrays and placed me on painkillers. I contacted the Student Legal Office and they told me that they cannot help me because the university is the adverse party. I would like to get help with my medical bills because I am a poor graduate student. What should I do?

BelizeBreeze

The legal office is correct. The attorney cannot represent you against the university because they pay his salary.

contact a personal injury attorney in town.

Lynx 36

Shouldn't a graduate student have the intelligence to determine that ice is slippery and to exercise due care when walking on it? I live in a region that gets snow, and no matter how much salt is put down, there will always be ice patches everywhere. It's wintertime, deal w/ it. Don't blame someone else f/ your fall.

Are you blind or can you see where you happen to be stepping?

Are you able to recognize what ice looks like in the great outdoors? If not maybe one of your friends can help you identify what ice looks like, and also help w/ some of the precautions when navigating across or around the white death.

I can't believe cases like this have any merit but they sometimes do. Sue away! Sue away!!

S

seniorjudge

I have to have sympa for you since I did the same dang fool thing to myself in a canoe. Then, here not too long ago, I fell on ice also, injuring myself.

Before you get that personal injury lawyer, find out how long the ice was there. If the university left it there on purpose, then you might have a case. Except if there is sovereign immunity in your state.

Also, Google north carolina tort assumption risk contributory comparative negligence Read the articles there. That should keep you busy for awhile.

BTW, I am still limping. I am seriously considering suing my own fool self under my homeowner's policy!?

You Are Guilty

Lynx 36 said:
Shouldn't a graduate student have the intelligence to determine that ice is slippery and to exercise due care when walking on it? I live in a region that gets snow, and no matter how much salt is put down, there will always be ice patches everywhere. It's wintertime, deal w/ it. Don't blame someone else f/ your fall.

Are you able to recognize what ice looks like in the great outdoors? If not maybe one of your friends can help you identify what ice looks like, and also help w/ some of the precautions when navigating across or around the white death.

I can't believe cases like this have any merit but they sometimes do. Sue away! Sue away!!
You forgot to suggest that they also sue Mother Nature and God for their liability in creating the ice condition in the first place.

BelizeBreeze

You Are Guilty said:
You forgot to suggest that they also sue Mother Nature and God for their liability in creating the ice condition in the first place.
YAG, Lynx is an insurance adjuster. Would you expect any less? :rolleyes:

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
YAG, Lynx is an insurance adjuster. Would you expect any less? :rolleyes:
So, are you saying that insurance adjusters cannot tell the truth?

Why, that would be like saying that lawyers cannot tell the truth.

Wait a minute...bad analogy...hmmmm, BB, let me get back to you on this one. I need to shine up my analogy.

hnramsey

Lynx 36 said:

I grew up in the mountains and am totally used to ice and snow. I had walked on a few other sidewalks and stairs on campus on my way to my building and they had been salted except these stairs next to my building and there is not a light there so I couldn't see the ice (I left after dark)! And I asked another grad student who was at school that same day and he fell on the same stairs as well. I'm not out to make a buck by sueing...did you not read my message? I just want some help with paying for my medical bills since each xray is $85 plus (they took 7) and I make less than $9000 a year and get no financial support from my parents or anyone else.

Lynx 36

here we go tort reform, here we go.........here we go tort reform, here we go.........here we go tort reform, here we go.........here we go tort reform, here we go...............

HomeGuru

Lynx 36 said:
here we go tort reform, here we go.........here we go tort reform, here we go.........here we go tort reform, here we go.........here we go tort reform, here we go...............

**A: replace the words tort reform with "around the mulberry bush" and then I'll believe you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">