• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid- Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kruser

My state FLA. Confused on assets, i believe that my 76 yr old sister can only have $2000 in assets, plus $2000 for Burial expenses and has to spend the rest, $4000. What if she went to a adult living housing?. Can she pay back rent with the money?. Would she be able to keep the money if she Quaifies as medically needy or share the costs (co-pay) ?.
She has the 25 pages filled out to apply for medicaid, i'm just looking for guidence. What rules are there on spending that $4000?.

Kruser

Medicaid-Assets

My sister has only $8000 and a 69' chevy car. I think they let you keep $2000, and $2000 for burial exspences. You must spend anything above that.
She maintains her $8000 with $1182 pension. I don't want her to just spend the $4000 off until i find out about Medically aided or Medical CO-Pay.
She can live on her income, and pay minor medical bills, something serious is another matter. She does not Qualify for SS or Medicare.

BL

Try here : http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/english/servicesArea.html

But If she was to apply for Medicaid , she would be required to answer questions such as , bank accounts , weather or not she has transfered any assets or property , Etc .

In a long run , before she has to have major medical care / Medicaid , she should withdraw it and keep it home in a safe ( and keep it hush hush ) , or something similar. Then when the time comes , it won't be traceable , and she will qualify .

Also, in My state once qualified , Medicaid goes back about 3 months of paying medical bills owed .

Kruser

Medicaid-Assets

Thanks for your replys. I know you sign a release so they check your bank account. I'll withdraw 2 checks at $2000 each . One for paying the nephew for her teeth, and me for back rent. Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">