• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to appear in court for expired DL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fayefaye

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was stopped by the cops for a burnt out headlight, and given a citation for that, unfortunately my license was expired and I got a citation for that too and was scheduled to appear in court. However, I failed to appear in court and and got benched as a result. I went to the following court date and the judge gave me a trial date, which is on Feb. 2. and said that the highest penalty would be 1,000.00 fine or 6 months in jail. I have no idea what I am doing and am too broke to hire a lawyer. Please help me!!

S

seniorjudge

Ask for a public defender.

You could also ask, before you start the trial, if there was a diversion program.

I will have to warn you, however, that once you fail to appear for court, the judge and prosecutor show remarkably little interest in working anything out.

Anyway, hope that the prosecutor will be really busy that day. Tell him you want to work out a deal and hope for the best. Have a lot of cash on you for a fine. Judges always like to see that ready cash go into the court's coffers.

fayefaye

thank you

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I'm willing and ready to put up as much money as I can for the fine, but do you think I will be put into jail for this? I'm terrified of the thought and it's literally making me sick.

S

seniorjudge

fayefaye said:
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I'm willing and ready to put up as much money as I can for the fine, but do you think I will be put into jail for this? I'm terrified of the thought and it's literally making me sick.
I really do not know the answers to any of those questions.

I do not know your record.

I do not know what you were charged with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">