• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL Umemployment Benefits & Military Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jebksb1977

undefined
What is the name of your state?IL
We are having issues with the Unemployment office & the military. To make a long story short, my son was severely injured in Iraq and medically retired from the Army. He was unable to go back to his civilian job because of his disability, cannot find employment because of his disability and is now on unemployment. The military just started his disability compensation last week. First my son was told that the disability payments would cause the unemployment to stop. He then saw a veteran's counselor who told him that since they were disability payments, the unemployment would not be effected. Today, he received a phone call from the unemployment office telling him that his unemployment will stop because even though these are DISABILITY payments, they are considered PENSION payments. I have read through every page of the Illinois Unemployment Law and can make no sense out of any of it. Can anyone here help me find an answer for him?

neelpert1

The VA would be the strongest starting point

I would recommend that your son seek the local VA dept. in order to find out how this works. VA disability does carry certain benefits and protections. In addition, several employers gain much from hiring someone with "disabled veteran" status. The VA disability is what it is, but if you feel that the percentage was inadequate, and appeal can be made through the VA. This will take a LOT of time, so do not depend on this money anytime soon.

States often violate Veteran's rights out of ignorance. I was also subjected to a big delay in unemployment immediately following discharge. However, I submitted an appeal per instructions on my letter from the state. If your son was denied in any way, there should be an address, phone, or some other method of appealing this decision. I even did so out of state and met with the judge via phone, but it took about 4-6 weeks for the court date. And I did receive back pay in that situation.

Remember, these unemployment workers are just that and they are dealing with mountains of paperwork everyday. Often, exceptions are not understood by them and they are overlooked in the shuffle to process claims quickly.

Work the appeal process. Then contact VA if the problem persists.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">